After testing a lot of different configurations (which was quite a
headache), I came up with the following. First of all, for both speed
and reliability, you will want SCSI. The list of reasons are quite long
for SCSI, and as you are doing research on the subject, it is an obvious
choice and I don't need to list them here. Get drives with 15K RPM,
since disk seek time is a killer in database applications. U160 or U320
SCSI 3. With lots of cache on the drive (should be standard). I've found
U160 to be sufficient, but U320 might be better for backups, etc. We do
have U320 controllers now, to be ready for the future. Next, I found
RAID 10 to be the best combination of redundancy and speed. It is not
cheaper though. I have not tested hardware RAID (which is a shame -- it
is a big hole in my experience), but use software RAID. Either way,
position all the sets of mirrors such that each mirror set (2 drives)
are on separate channels. This way, if your SCSI controller (or RAID
controller) has a channel die, the whole array can still function (even
with half of the drives down). Then stripe your (3-4) mirrors. Don't
stripe too many. More sets to stripe increase performance, but syncing
the rotations of many drives degrades performance. So there are
diminishing returns. For our calculations, 3-4 mirrors were sufficient.
Most of our RAID sets are six drives (3 stripe of 2 mirror). For one, we
wanted more space and it has 8 drives (4x2). Don't forget to install
spares at the same time. I like using external SCSI disk enclosures, so
you can swap servers with less headache.

-steve-