SETUP

Windows 2000, Version 5.0 (build 2195, Service Pack 2) (In case it
matters, I have about 20 GB available on my 40GB hard drive and 192MB of
RAM)

SETTINGS

Prior to attempting to put on the second server, I wasn't using any
options, which was logging me in as [EMAIL PROTECTED] (or more likely
[EMAIL PROTECTED]), later I invoked mysql as follows:  mysql -h localhost -u
root to log in as the root.  If you see my treads I was having problems
with building temporary tables and was advised to set up a root user,
turned out one was set up with the installation so I began using it.).

When I started attempting to set up the multiple versions, Victoria
Reznichenko directed me to the user manual and was attempting to set it
up that way.  I shut down the original mysql server and installed the
mysql in the "4.1 Alpha" folder group with the option mysqld-nt
--install mysqld2 which was referenced per the manual in a file called
"my.cnf" as follows:

# options for mysqld2 service
[mysqld2]
basedir = C:/mysql-4.0.14
port = 3308
enable-named-pipe
socket = mypipe2

It installed with no errors.  Then it instructed I startup the servers
as follows:

NET START mysql
NET START mysqld2

when I did that I got the response:

"The MySQL service started succesfully."

and

"The mysqld2 service started succesfully."

respectively.

But when I attempt to invoke MySQL the response is: "ERROR 2003:  Can't
connect to MySQL server on 'localhost' (10061)"

(BTW.  When I came in today I found out that I could no longer connect
to 4.1.0 either.  When I left last night, I could connect to 4.1.0, but
could no longer connect to 4.0.13.  According to windows explorer the
database files are still there, but for some reason mySQL can no longer
point to them.)

How I'm running the servers:  they are services in Windows.  Though I
had nothing to do with that.  The setup/install utility handled that for
4.0.13.  Do I have to give them a unique name for 4.1.0 so Windows can
distinguish 4.1 from 4.0?

Better detail?  Thanks for not giving up on me!

George