Successfully removed the services.  I rechecked and, no mysqld, just
MySQL and mysqld2.  Thanks!

That should close out this thread!

-----Original Message-----
From: Paul DuBois [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, July 24, 2003 11:30 AM
To: Degan, George E, JR, MGSVC; Stefan Hinz
Cc: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: Re[2]: Can run two versions of MySQL in Windows 2000?

At 6:23 -0500 7/24/03, Degan, George E, JR, MGSVC wrote:

>(I think I messed up here.  I decided to start from scratch, I removed
>"MySQL Servers and Clients 4.0.13" from the program list (as it appears
>when I run the "setup.exe" it installs MySQL software in Windows) and
>deleted all the folders (which included the old "c:\mysql\" directory
>with mysqld in the \bin folder) before performing the remove
>instructions below.  So now I can't get to the correct "mysqld" service
>to remove it.  It also appears that I can't remove it in windows as I
>don't see a "remove" or "delete" option in the Services area where you
>directed me.  Will that be "stuck" there, now?  MySQL and mysqld2 still
>appear in the services list.)

You need to remove the services using a MySQL server.  You can use any
of mysqld, mysqld-nt, mysqld-max, or mysql-max-nt to do this.  Suppose
you use mysqld.  This command removes the service having the default
name ("MySQL"):

mysqld --remove

And this one removes a service named "mysqld2":

mysqld --remove mysqld2

>>  net stop svc-name-1
>>  net stop svc-name-2
>(by "svs-name-1 and -2" do you refer to mysqld and mysqld2?  If not, to
>what services do you refer?)

MySQL (the default name) and mysqld2 (your second service name)

>  > To remove them:
>
>>  mysqld --remove svc-name-1
>>  mysqld --remove svc-name-2
>(it appears that you do not as "mysqld  --remove mysqld" doesn't seem
>make sense.  To what services do you refer?)

See above.

>>  Then start from the beginning, using the mysqld --install
instructions
>>  in the manual.
>
>>  (So I don't have to "Uninstall" them in windows since they are now
>>  services?  Or does this have the same effect?)
>
>I'd suggest you to get familiar with the Windows services concept.
>Services are, uh, services that can start and stop software programs
>(like the MySQL server). Rather than starting the software manually,
>you'd set up a service that does that (and can do that automatically,
>e.g. at system startup).
>
>Windows (NT, 2000, XP) usually uses services to start software that
>runs in the background, like the MySQL server.
>
>Unlike software, you don't uninstall a service, you _remove_ it, so it
>won't be there anymore to start the software program it's supposed to
>start. For the MySQL server, that's done with the "mysqld --remove
><servicename>" command.
>(How do we remove the mysqld service?)

You don't have a service named "mysqld", do you?

--
Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

Are you MySQL certified?  http://www.mysql.com/certification/