At 14:47 24/7/2003 +0200, Stefan Hinz wrote:
Hi,

> (I think I messed up here.  I decided to start from scratch, I removed
> "MySQL Servers and Clients 4.0.13" from the program list (as it appears
> when I run the "setup.exe" it installs MySQL software in Windows) and
> deleted all the folders (which included the old "c:\mysql\" directory
> with mysqld in the \bin folder) before performing the remove
> instructions below.  So now I can't get to the correct "mysqld" service
> to remove it.  It also appears that I can't remove it in windows as I
> don't see a "remove" or "delete" option in the Services area where you
> directed me.  Will that be "stuck" there, now?  MySQL and mysqld2 still
> appear in the services list.)

I had the same kind of problem before. I don't know why that is so,
but Windows doesn't provide a remove option in the Services Manager
window. You can, however, edit the properties of a service and set it
to "Disabled". After re-booting the system, that service should have
gone.

If it's still there, you can only remove it by hacking the Windows
registry (Start > Run > regedit), looking for "mysql..." entries,
delete them, and reboot. Maybe there's a more proper way of doing
this, and if someone on this list knows, I'd be interested in how that
would look like.

(And, yes, I can hear all you Unix guys on this list chuckling.)

Yes the currently installer doesn't remove the service during the un-install process. This deficiency should be fixed in the new installer which is developed by Mark ( I am cc this for him for to me correct if I am wrong).

However in the today behavior I don't recommend to play with the
registry. The situation is:

- Before to un-install remove the service using the server binary
  with mysqld --remove or mysqld --remove service-name.

- If you don't have anymore any server for to perform the remove
  service, you don't need to reboot, just re-install the new
  stuff and do the service remove.

--
Regards,

For technical support contracts, visit https://order.mysql.com/
Are you MySQL certified?, http://www.mysql.com/certification/

Miguel Angel Solórzano <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Săo Paulo - Brazil