Mike,

What a brilliant idea! Seriously, setting up a community fund to sponsor
this (and perhaps in future other things) might be something to
consider.

The only questions that come to mind are:

1. Which would be more effective, setting up a fund for this sort of
thing or just going out and buying licences for MySQL/InnoDB and/or
InnoDB hot backup?
2. What sort of amount would be required to sponsor it?

Regards,

Chris