At 10:09 PM 9/5/2003, Chris Nolan wrote:
Mike,

What a brilliant idea! Seriously, setting up a community fund to sponsor
this (and perhaps in future other things) might be something to
consider.

The only questions that come to mind are:

1. Which would be more effective, setting up a fund for this sort of
thing or just going out and buying licences for MySQL/InnoDB and/or
InnoDB hot backup?

I think you're on the right track. MySQL & Innodb could add a check box on their order form that says something like
"Please donate $50 towards the InnoDb FullText search project". (MySQL AB can use any dollar amount that they're comfortable with. I only used $50 as an example)

This will help MySQL AB get more licenses and InnoDb could sell more Hot Backups.
When the donations reach a specific level, InnoDb starts work on the FullText search feature.

2. What sort of amount would be required to sponsor it?

Only Heikki can answer that. It is definitely a feature that is long overdue.
If people like me are staying with MyISAM tables because InnoDb lacks FullText support, then it's also impacting InnoDb's Hot Backup sales. So it is in their own best interest to get started on the project. :)

Mike