Hi groups,

I need some experienced users to guide me on this issue.
I am developping an Application that will be accessing a MySQL database through MyODBC.
The application is developped using Visual Basic.

Since my application will be used simultaneously by more than 200 users, I want to
know the implication of using one of the following methods for connecting to the
server:

1. At logon, I create a connection to the server and maintain it throught the
application life. By the application life I mean that the connection stays open as
long as the application is loaded in the memory. So, for a user who is online for 3
hours, the connection is on for those three hours, even if the user goes out for a
coffee.

2. I create a connection only when a query is about to be sent to the server. That
means, I create a connection when I want to create an ADO recordset and run a query
against the server. After running my query, I distroy the connection.

Currently I am using the first option since I don't exactly what it is required (time
and resources) to make a connection to the server. Will you please tell me how fast is
to connect to the server. If you advise me that this method is the best, I will add
functions to reconnect a dead connection.

Any ideas and advices are highly welcomed

Thanks,
NZEYIMANA Emery Fabrice
NEFA Computing Services, Inc.
P.O. Box 5078 Kigali