My experience is this.  I use DAO through MyODBC, and I also use the
libmysql.dll with a custom recordset.  Connection times through both options
are extremely fast. Fast enough in my situation that it can basically can be
ignored.  There are times when I open several connections to the server at
once and have yet to run into any problems.  If you strictly want to use ADO
though, I would suggest that you open one connection to the server and
process your queries through that connection.  Leave it open for the life of
the program.  While the program is open, the connection to the server will
stay open and the thread for MySQL will be a "sleep".

Just my $0.02.

Roger

---