Hello,
I am installing mysql 4.1.0 rpm on SuSE 8.2.
I am logged in as root and run the rpm command as follows:
rpm -Uvh MySQL-server-4.1.0-0.i386.rpm

The script completes but gives two errors.  The errors in mysql_install_db
are on lines 166 and 383.
Both lines are the same:
    if test "$in_rpm" -eq 0 || "$windows" -eq 0

I thought maybe the errors could be ignored, but I immediately try to
execute the required commands to set the root password, the command is not
found:
    /usr/bin/mysqladmin -u root password 'newpassword'

So I guess the install didn't go so well.
This same problem happened to me last month when I tried to install on
another clean copy of SuSE 8.2 and also when I tried on Mandrake 9.1.  Am I
doing something ovbvious that is wrong??

thanks, Jon