Just got back onto this again now.

To quote the docs you pointed me at:

If MySQL crashes in the middle of an ALTER TABLE operation, you may end up with an orphaned temporary table inside the InnoDB tablespace. With innodb_table_monitor you see a table whose name is #sql..., but since MySQL does not allow accessing any table with such a name, you cannot dump or drop it. The solution is to use a special mechanism available starting from version 3.23.48 of InnoDB.

If you have an orphaned table #sql... inside the tablespace, then by calling

CREATE TABLE `rsql..._recover_innodb_tmp_table`(...) type = innodb;

where the table definition is similar to the temporary table, you can make InnoDB to rename the orphaned table to `rsql..._recover_innodb_tmp_table`. Then you can dump and drop the renamed table. The backquotes around the table name are needed because a temporary table name contains the character '-'.

It was a crash during an ALTER TABLE operation, I remember it, but it was a while back so I am unable to tell what these 2 orphan table definitions are - even what the tables were called unfortunately.

According to the blurb above I need the definition to rename the orphan table. So it looks like I'm stuck.

Even so I tried a few random guesses at the table definitions without getting anywhere. It seems mysql doesn't like my backquotes - with my en_UK keyboard I have "`" which I think should be OK, so how come I get an error?

Have you got any more suggestions?

Thanks Adam