Yes, you are right. I am upgrading to MySQL 4.0, but I can not do it if I do not have a backup of my current database. If something goes wrong, I need to be sure that I am able to restore the database to its current state. Maybe I need two types of backup, one to move my databases to version 4.0 (it is solved with mysqldump and SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS) and other to recover mu current database if something goes wrong when upgrading.
Martín

Thank you very much Paul, that is exactly what I need, but FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS = 0 is a feature of MySQL/InnoDB-3.23.52 and unfortunatelly my current version is 3.23.51. I can not upgrade to version 4.0 if I do not have a reliable backup of my current version.
Do you have any other sugestion?

I don't understand. You say (below) that you are upgrading to *4.0*. The SET FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS statement isn't something you need when you're dumping your database, it's something you use when reloading the dump file.

- Use mysqldump to dump your 3.23 databases
- Upgrade to 4.0
- Reload the dump file into 4.0, using SET_FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS.

Martín