From: "Paul DuBois" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Martín Lahittette" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Saturday, October 18, 2003 11:59 PM
Subject: Re: Backup database with foreign keys

At 21:45 +0000 10/18/03, Martín Lahittette wrote:
>Yes, you are right. I am upgrading to MySQL 4.0,
>but I can not do it if I do not have a backup of
>my current database. If something goes wrong, I
>need to be sure that I am able to restore the
>database to its current state. Maybe I need two
>types of backup, one to move my databases to
>version 4.0 (it is solved with mysqldump and SET
>FOREIGN_KEY_CHECKS) and other to recover mu
>current database if something goes wrong when
>upgrading.
>Martín

It's going to be true that you need a backup whether you upgrade or not,
right?

The alternative strategy is to know the foreign key dependencies, dump each
of the affected tables into a separate file, then reload each of the files
in the proper order.

--
Paul DuBois, Senior Technical Writer
Madison, Wisconsin, USA