Subject: Re: ANN: Database Workbench 2.4 released
Date: Tuesday 11 November 2003 23:47
From: Nils Valentin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Martijn Tonies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Martjin,

On Monday 10 November 2003 19:50, Martijn Tonies wrote:
> Hi Nils,
>
> > How do I install this tool on a Unix, Linux or BSD based machine ?
>
> The tool itself is Windows based - however, people are running
> it under Wine and similar emulators. See
> http://www.upscene.com/documentation/dbw_freebsd_wine.htm
> for an example.

That was 1 customer, yes thats right, but you dont want to argue that the
performance will be the same ;-). Wine is a good product, but it is more or
less for an emergency and not for the everyday basis.  There are already some
products running on, but within limits.

> > Why does it say on the page
> >
> > 1) Receiving upgrades is not time limited.
> >
> > and 2)
> > The license itself isn't time limited - but there is a 20% yearly renewal
>
> fee
>
> > for maintenance and support (updates etc) on the driver after the first
>
> year.
>
> The (2) part comes from a different product: "InterXpress for Firebird" and
> is not related to Database Workbench. There's a different header on the
> webpage above that part.
>
> > I found this
> >
> > a) confusing and
> > b) I would prefer a one time fee.
>
> If you read it like that, it actually is confusing :-) ... Is your web-page
> view
> perhaps messed up? The page is tested with IE and Opera and looks fine
> in both.

Thank you for asking. I am using Mozilla, Opera and Konqueror. It looks fine
in all3 browsers, but it was not clear for me that the second note was only
for the InterXpress for Firebird product.

I believ it would help to list them up on separate pages or perhaps change
 the background colour slightly to make it more obvious.

> > The module system  is probably a nice idea, but shouldnt that allow to
>
> offer
>
> > the drivers for a reasonable price ?
>
> You are mixing two things, the driver product has nothing to do with
> Database Workbench.
>
> > I found 435$ for the full module software to expensive. I can get similar
>
> and
>
> > better software easily for under 100$ - ( sometimes even free) which
> > offer more features and reliability than your product.
>
> I'm surprised you can say something like that just a few hours after
> release
>
> :-)
>
> Take another look: if you want to use Database Workbench for MySQL only,
> you can purchase a license for Euro 109,- not Euro 435,- ... If you want
> more
> database engines supported, the license price will increase.

The most critical point to me is that the combination of closed source/
features/price seesm to be a bit unlucky.

First it doesnt seem to be an open source product (and please correct me if I
am wrong).

Secodnly, I dont like the idea, that I have to buy for what is supposed to be
an addon. That should be included. And the modul type should easily allow
cheaper prices for the whole package.

Have a look at other products and let me know what you think;

www.business.com/search/rslt_default.asp?r4=t&query=database
+development+tool

www.10xsoftware.com/products/
www.fabforce.net
www.minq.se
www.dbtools.com.br/EN/dbmanagerpro.php
www.ems-hitech.com
www.quest.com/solutions/database_management_products.asp

>> (10 tools introduced)

www.linuxadvisor.net/doc/12029
www.macosguru.de/
www.easysoft.com/solutions/osx.phtml
www.hallogram.com/dezign/

There are 100^s more. Not all of them are open source. It depends strongly on
which platform you are running the software.

> > If you have the luck to find customers which are willing to pay this,
> > than
>
> you
>
> > are probably the most terrific sales person  around for a while.
> > All power to you.
>
> The InterBase and Firebird modules of Database Workbench have been
> successfull for quite some years and include many useful tools not offered
> in order applications. The "per database engine" modules allow you to
> make a difference between a "one size fits all" product, but still have the
> ability to use tools like the Test Data Generator

The Test data generator is nowadays integrated in quite a few tools.

> or Schema Migration tool
> without the need to buy licenses for hundreds or thousands of Euros.

That might be correct, but I still believe that you must be a terrific sales
person. Open source products can be installed on  unlimited machines without
buying any licenses ;-) (if you want to do so).

Dont get me wrong if it is a good product it might well be worth paying for
it, but right now I cant see that yet when I compare this to the 100^s of
open source products out there.

> With regards,
>
> Martijn Tonies
> Database Workbench - developer tool for InterBase, Firebird & MS SQL
> Server. Upscene Productions
> http://www.upscene.com

kind regards

--