Subject: Re: ANN: Database Workbench 2.4 released
Date: Wednesday 12 November 2003 01:00
From: Nils Valentin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Martijn Tonies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Martijn,

thanks for the reply. You replied to me offline, so I keep it that way (if
 you want it so;-)

I already mentioned that I like Open source products, there is a good reason
for that, which I would like to explain.  When I buy a product I want to use
it for a long time. Ideally I want to be able to modify things within the
software to my needs. An I believe that open source products are good for
this, for other things as well.

I installed the software on a Windows 98 machine. The lowest speck machine
which I have (I always do this with new software).

The speed seems to be reasonable (nothing to complain here ;-)

I accessed a few Mysql databases when I got an "Abstract error".

I am not sure what caused the software to choke, but I had to restart my
machine.

When you choose the Blob Editor and try to access a database which you dont
have access for then a screen tells me " Access violation at address 4002F584
in module "RTL70.BPL" Read of address FFFFFFFF"

While the software contains possibly all kind of tools and features I dont
think that the design of the interface is intuitive.

The File menu has a point called Preferences. Is there a point in listing up
the single sub sections when they lead to the same window containing all
properties ?

Also the functions should be grouped  context sensitive. ( I believe
DbVisualizer is a good sample here). See how the context of the menu changes
with the user interactions (try the export functions).

I would perhaps place the tool buttons on a vertical bar between the left and
the right window, letting the image icons change depending which tool you
have chosen to see. the tools would be shown in tabs, so that the user sees
basically only 1 tab at a time (unless he wants to see more windows than he
should be able to cascade the windows or arrange them on the screen).

I dont believe in Error No xxx messages. The window should display the
 meaning for the user. f.e

Not: error 1045
but: This combination of username, hostname,db and password is invalid.

Also I dont like popup windows reminding me that I have to register the
software evrytime when I start the software or click on a special feature.

That can be mentioned decently in the statusbar once or always, but NO POPUPS
- hope you got this ;-)

The Wizard screens remind me of another software called SQLyog (available
 here http://www.webyog.com/) which was freely available for quite a while
 ;-) , its right now 30 - 50$.

Perhaps the mixture of tools is unique the way you present them ;-) , but I
certainly think that the GUI could need a good and thoroughly sorting for
the functions.  Think about it this way "KISS"  - Keep it stupid simple. To
many options is like trying to find your car key in the forest (or so ;-).

Anyway thats my opinion. I could probaly go on like this for a while... At
 the end its the user who decides which products he likes and my result is
 that this product still needs lots of improvements regarding the GUIs
 intuitivity (and the pricing and the license model of course;-).

Best regards

Nils Valentin

Tokyo/Japan

--