Subject: Re: ANN: Database Workbench 2.4 released
Date: Monday 10 November 2003 21:08
From: "Martijn Tonies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Hi Nils,

> > > How do I install this tool on a Unix, Linux or BSD based machine ?
> >
> > The tool itself is Windows based - however, people are running
> > it under Wine and similar emulators. See
> > http://www.upscene.com/documentation/dbw_freebsd_wine.htm
> > for an example.
>
> That was 1 customer, yes thats right, but you dont want to argue that the
> performance will be the same ;-).
>
>From what I've heard, the performance is good.
>
>Wine is a good product, but it is more or
> less for an emergency and not for the everyday basis.  There are already

some

> products running on, but within limits.

I'm also not saying that it should run on Unix, Linux or FreeBSD. I'm not
argueing about it either. It's a Windows based tool, plain and simple. You
can connect, of course, to other systems running MySQL.

> > perhaps messed up? The page is tested with IE and Opera and looks fine
> > in both.
>
> Thank you for asking. I am using Mozilla, Opera and Konqueror. It looks

fine

> in all3 browsers, but it was not clear for me that the second note was

only

> for the InterXpress for Firebird product.

Thank you for confirming that at least the pages look the same :-)

> I believ it would help to list them up on separate pages or perhaps change

the

> background colour slightly to make it more obvious.

Perhaps a more detailed difference would enhance the page. Thank you for
the suggestion.

> > > The module system  is probably a nice idea, but shouldnt that allow to
> >
> > offer
> >
> > > the drivers for a reasonable price ?
> >
> > You are mixing two things, the driver product has nothing to do with
> > Database Workbench.
> >
> > > I found 435$ for the full module software to expensive. I can get

similar

> > and
> >
> > > better software easily for under 100$ - ( sometimes even free) which
> > > offer more features and reliability than your product.
> >
> > I'm surprised you can say something like that just a few hours after
> > release
> >
> > :-)
> >
> > Take another look: if you want to use Database Workbench for MySQL only,
> > you can purchase a license for Euro 109,- not Euro 435,- ... If you want
> > more
> > database engines supported, the license price will increase.
>
> The most critical point to me is that the combination of closed source/
> features/price seesm to be a bit unlucky.

Did you take a look at the features available?

> First it doesnt seem to be an open source product (and please correct me

if I

> am wrong).
>
> Secodnly, I dont like the idea, that I have to buy for what is supposed to

be

> an addon. That should be included. And the modul type should easily allow
> cheaper prices for the whole package.

I'm unsure what you mean by "addon" in this particular context?

> Have a look at other products and let me know what you think;
>
> www.business.com/search/rslt_default.asp?r4=t&query=database
> +development+tool
>
> >> (over 100 tools introduced
>
> www.10xsoftware.com/products/

I'm unsure if any of their products are comparable.

> www.fabforce.net

Case tool, without after-case development tools.

> www.minq.se

Nice tool, but different feature set, $99.

> www.dbtools.com.br/EN/dbmanagerpro.php

The "enterprise" version isn't available for purchase yet.

> www.ems-hitech.com

$135 - which a lot less features, but does have a "case" tool
(visual design)

> www.quest.com/solutions/database_management_products.asp

If you have more than $2000,- then there are some nice tools
available, but none of them MySQL related. For example, their
test-data-generator tool is more expensive then Database
Workbench including all modules.

?

> www.macosguru.de/

MacOS tool. Looks pretty nice.

> www.easysoft.com/solutions/osx.phtml

ODBC driver for MacOS.

> www.hallogram.com/dezign/

DeZign is a case tool

> There are 100^s more. Not all of them are open source. It depends strongly

on

> which platform you are running the software.

There are more - you're right about that. Most of the ones you listed
are not open source though. And there are few good open source products
out there - I'm not saying there aren't. Not at all. If you prefer open
source,
the one thing I can say: stick with it. There's no law telling you to buy
tools.

But have you tried Database Workbench before you wrote this email? If you're
missing features, feel free to write me and they might be included in the
next version.

> > The InterBase and Firebird modules of Database Workbench have been
> > successfull for quite some years and include many useful tools not

offered

> > in order applications. The "per database engine" modules allow you to
> > make a difference between a "one size fits all" product, but still have

the

> > ability to use tools like the Test Data Generator
>
> The Test data generator is nowadays integrated in quite a few tools.
>
> > or Schema Migration tool
> > without the need to buy licenses for hundreds or thousands of Euros.
>
> That might be correct, but I still believe that you must be a terrific

sales

> person. Open source products can be installed on  unlimited machines

without

> buying any licenses ;-) (if you want to do so).

"Firebird" - the database engine - is open source. I'm selling Database
Workbench for Firebird licenses every week. Simply because people like
Database Workbench and what it does for them.

> Dont get me wrong if it is a good product it might well be worth paying

for

> it, but right now I cant see that yet when I compare this to the 100^s of
> open source products out there.

As I said before - if you like a product you're using, be happy and continue
using it. I'm just adding one more possibility for my existing customers to
use yet another database engine and I'm offering a tool for new customers
that gives you a consistent user interface for multiple database engines,
including tools to quickly copy table/index/constraint structures across
engines without the need to write or modify metadata statements. And much
more :-)

With regards,

Martijn Tonies
Database Workbench - developer tool for InterBase, Firebird & MS SQL Server.
Upscene Productions
http://www.upscene.com

Nils Valentin
Tokyo/Japan