Michael, et al --

...and then Michael Stassen said...
%
% The simplest solution is to keep the password in the .my.cnf file in
% your home directory.  See http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/Option_files.html
% in the manual.

OK.

%
% In the case of root cron jobs then, you need a .my.cnf readable only by
% root in root's home.  It should include
%
% [client]
% password="mysql_root_password"

What if one user connects to the database as different users (as I do, in
fact; sometimes all-db-root, sometimes one-db-root, sometimes read-only
user)?  Let's back this out of "root" and go to "ordinary" or perhaps
"kinda-limited-root" (who might have all privileges but only over a
single database).  And I admit that I haven't read the docs [regarding
this] yet, but can one specify user A = pass A and user B = pass B and so
on?

%
% As mysql reads the .my.cnf file, this avoids the ps "sniffing" problem,

Yep.

% and also keeps the password out of the script.  Because you make the

Gotcha.  That might be all it takes.

% .my.cnf file readable only by root, other users can't see it.  (If they
% can see it, you've got bigger problems than just the mysql password).

Yeah :-)  Even if we're *not* talking about root, too.

%
% Michael

Thanks & HAND

:-D
- --
(play) [EMAIL PROTECTED] * society and not sufficient moral courage.
(work) [EMAIL PROTECTED]  -- Mary Baker Eddy, "Science and Health"