On Wednesday 12 November 2003 17.15, David T-G wrote:
> % [client]
> % password="mysql_root_password"

> What if one user connects to the database as different users (as I do, in
> fact; sometimes all-db-root, sometimes one-db-root, sometimes read-only
> user)?  Let's back this out of "root" and go to "ordinary" or perhaps
> "kinda-limited-root" (who might have all privileges but only over a
> single database).  And I admit that I haven't read the docs [regarding
> this] yet, but can one specify user A = pass A and user B = pass B and so
> on?

set up different my.cnf files for your different scripted users.
Make sure that they have proper permissions
then call mysql from your scripts like this:
mysql --defaults-file=/home/blah/secret/stupid-user.my.cnf
mysql --defaults-file=/home/blah/secret/clever-user.my.cnf

more info from "mysql --help"

Mike