Is this a production server?
THIS IS not a good advice but If not then just step down to a lower init level turning off the network services and then come back into level 3/5 whatever you are using, depending on platform.

Then try to start the server. If you would tell what platform you are running on and what version of mysql you are using, will help you get the solution faster - not the restarting the services kind :)

Aman Raheja
AGF Technologies
http://www.agftech.com

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Aman, thank you for your reply.

I did check the ports with netstat and it appears that no other
application is using port 3306.

I am tempting to uninstall mysql and then reinstall it again but
I do not know how to uninstall it the easy way.

Thanks again

[EMAIL PROTECTED]