Hello

I would firstly like to say that you are sending emails to me personally by hitting Reply - instead use Reply All next time so that others can view the problem too. I myself am *NOT* a guru in the field and so expect better advice from an expert.

Anyway.

Firstly - the error seems like when you are trying to connect you get this - have you started the server???
try with chkconfig and start if it's not ON

/etc/rc.d/init.d/mysqld start

Check and let know so we can go on.

Aman Raheja
AGF Technologies
http://www.agftech.com

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

Thank you again for your help.
I installed the 4.0 version of Mysql on a red hat 8.0 OS. I am trying to use the database to create a forum (with PHP) for discussion It is a production server but with no critical status
I was able to start Mysql a couple months ago but somehow it went down and since then I am
constantly getting the error message of : error 2002: can not connect to server through socket /var/lib/mysql/mysql.sock
when I try to start it.
I am not expert but I can do some things around the server if I am pointed to the right direction.
Thanks