Paul DuBois wrote:

At 14:37 -0600 11/24/03, John Nichel wrote:

Paul DuBois wrote:

Paul DuBois wrote:

At 14:17 -0500 11/24/03, Arnoldus Th.J. Koeleman wrote:

I like to install the my.cnf in another directory and not the default
/etc/my.cnf

When I move this file to another directory it can't start anymore.

Is there a way to install my.cnf in a different location and which file
need to be updated to look into the new

No official way. You can make a symbolic link at /etc/my.cnf that points
to your new location.

I don't even have a my.cnf on any of my *nix boxes, and MySQL runs fine. Does this only come into play with precompiled binaries?

No.

Option files are, er, optional.

Why would the OP not be able to start MySQL when moving the config file then?

I suppose he changed some other aspect of his installation that requires
options to be specified, e.g., if you change the location of the data directory.

This makes the *option* required, though it could be specified on the command
line *or* in an option file.

Ah, okay. Thanks for the info.

-- By-Tor.com It's all about the Rush http://www.by-tor.com