Hacker gets in this way:
->[Webserver][rooted]->[DBServer][rooted]->File_Access(/var/lib/mysql/database)

I'd say the "major security breach" is already when the Webserver is rooted.^
If he gets to your webserver he could still read WHATEVER DATA he wants from
your database with the information he finds in your site's code.

Look at below example: (Use Fixed Font)

    Internet

----(80,443)--- <- firewall w/ webports open

    Webserver

----(3306)----- <- another one allowing mysql access

    DBServer

Since you have a bulkhead between your servers your DBServer is completely*
safe from anyone getting file-level access to it.

But, since you have a working webserver with scripts and functions to access
the database he can still access any data he wants from the database server.

Stop worrying so much about mysql's filelevel security.
If your webserver is rooted you are toast anyway!

Mike

^Your security review needs to be reviewed?
*Unless there's a security hole in mysql allowing code/command execution.