As I understand stored procedures:

Stored procedures offer a level of performance that you normally can not
replicate in code. The stored procedure actually has the query stored in the
query parser ready to rumble. You do not have to invoke network or socket
overhead in calling a long query and you do not have to invoke the query parser
at each invocation of the procedure. Hopefully, the procedure takes advantages
of the caches found in most database servers. Theoretically, the performance
gains are tremendous if you can knock out network access and the CPU cycles of
parsing the query.

That being said, I am a fan of MySQL and would use it over MSSQL any day. Not
having sub-selects, stored procedures, and until recently transaction support I
have found programmatic methods to get around these issues.

My experience has been this - let the application that is closest to the data do
the manipulation. This is true if the primary purpose is to store, retrieve,
and manipulate data. So, when MySQL supports stored procedures you will see,
again, a jump in usability and performance.

HTH

Quoting [EMAIL PROTECTED]: