<soapbox>
Back to stored procedures for a second. I use them with MSSQL. For certain tasks they
greatly improve performance because I don't have to move all the data client side. For
the vast majority of tasks though stored procedures yeild little performance gain.

I've seen systems that (designed as Microsoft suggests) wrapped all SQL usage in
stored procedures. This is nonsense.

Also, stored procedure have two very important liabilities: they break the n-tier
model and they expose source code to the customer (if you sell your app). If you
change your back end then you get to re-write all your stored procedures (I had to do
this once). I routinely get calls from IT managers who have looked at my stored
procedures and have questioned why I did so and so. This forces me to research it and
come up with a reasonable answer.

In my opinion the performance gain of stored procedures are rarely worth the headaches
so their lack of them in MySQL is really not a problem.

Will I use them in MySQL 5.0? Probably, but only when justified.
</soapbox>