>So what are the justifications? What makes a wise stored procedure
>and an unwise stored procedure?

Use them when there is a real benefit to using stored procedures. I will give one
example when I would have used them:

With a CRM solution I once wrote, I wanted to get a list of n randomly selected
customers to issue a survey to. The generation and retreival of the customers was
fairly painless, you simply add ORDER BY RAND() to your query with a LIMIT n clause.
The catch is that I also wanted to add a row to a log table for each of these people
to show that thay were going to be part of this particular random mailing. Now of
course at this point these people were going to be on the client side. The solution is
to SELECT the random people into a temporary table, then mangle the table to be able
to INSERT it into the log table.

If I would have had access to stored procedures, I would have had the stored procedure
retrieve the people and both return them to the client app AND INSERT a row to the
log, saving me time and trouble.

One thing to remember is that every stored procedure you execute steals resources that
would otherwise go to handling queries, so you do not necesscarily see a performance
boost by using stored procedures for everything, in fact a MySQL server handling a lot
of stored procedures could very well show poorer performance than a proper n-tier
application.

Regards,
Mike Hillyer
www.vbmysql.com