At 09:37 PM 1/5/2004, Bryan Koschmann - GKT wrote:
Hi,

I'm trying to get a software designer to write us some software using
MySQL as the database server (he currently requires MS SQL). It is all
windows based software (written in VB).

So far his arguments against it are this (not my words):

-No explicit transactional support
-MySQL is still buggy
-MyODBC is buggy and not used in production environments
-Only way to connect using ODBC is third party drivers that cost over
half as much as MS SQL

This is just for our current software, the new software he is bidding on
says he would use .NET so that supposedely causes other problems.

Now, I know there are a few discrepancies there but I just don't know
enough to argue it. I * need* to use MySQL as the server because of cost
reasons. I *WANT* to use MySQL because I don't care for MS choose not to
run their products.

If you can give me any information to help me argue this I would really
appreciate it.

Thanks,

Bryan

I have previously used Borland's Delphi for various programs I needed to write in the M$ environment. This program was very solid and had very good ODBC support. While it has been awhile since I used it (version 2.0, they are now at or beyond 6.0) I have had many individuals claim that the Borland programming languages/compilers are the best and most stable compilers running under M$ Windows. Borland has various Visual programming languages available. you might want to suggest your programming try one of Borland's programs over the MS programs, if you really don't care to use M$ products. When I am forced to use M$ platform, I use every means at my disposal to use non-M$ products to accomplish the job. I use Apache for Web Servers, Perl for Web Scripting, ColdFusion for dynamic web sites accessing various DBs, Bind for DNS, MySQL for all new DBs, etc. For those of us that prefer to not use M$, but are forced to use the OS, I always try my best to make sure I can at least program in something other than MS. Whenever I am forced to program using a M$ compiler, I always add a line to all agreements, that code broken is not the fault of the programmer, but rather the fault of M$ and their constant change in procedures, compilers, and bugs. I have never heard and programmer who uses M$ C Compiler ever say they have had there program work right and stay working after each and every patch, or upgrade of the M$ compiler and operating system. Most programmers who use M$ C compiler constantly complain they must write code that works around a bug in the compiler or OS, only to have to rewrite the code after M$ tries to fix their bug.

Patrick J. Shoaf, Systems Engineer <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>[EMAIL PROTECTED]