On Jan 5, 2004, at 9:37 PM, Bryan Koschmann - GKT wrote:

-No explicit transactional support

Wrong. InnoDB tables support transactions.

-MySQL is still buggy

Care to have him specify what bugs he is referring to? I've been using MySQL for 2 years now, and use Microsoft SQL Server for about 3 years before that. I ran into some MSSQL bugs, but have yet to run into anything more than documentation bugs in MySQL.

-MyODBC is buggy and not used in production environments

There are some problems with MyODBC when used with some Microsoft products. The cynic in me feels that Microsoft deliberately creates these bugs, since I've used the exact same ODBC drivers with non-Microsoft products without a problem. I've used the MyODBC drivers in productions apps with Microsoft Visual FoxPro as the front end for over a year now, and have yet to have a problem.

-Only way to connect using ODBC is third party drivers that cost over
half as much as MS SQL

See above. This is a total crock.

Overall, sounds more like he is comfortable with Microsoft SQL Server, and is fabricating these arguments as excuses he can use to stay in his comfort zone. As a consultant myself, I would be very suspicious of anyone who tailors a solutions to his needs instead of yours. I'd not only consider using MySQL, I'd consider looking for a different developer.

     ___/
    /
   __/
  /
 ____/
 Ed Leafe

Linux Love:
unzip;strip;touch;finger;mount;fsck;more;yes;umount;sleep