Morten Gulbrandsen wrote:

http://www.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=MySQL+toy+marston

Subject: Re: Can MySQL table handle 3 million+ entries?

Newsgroups: comp.lang.php
Date: 2003-04-11 15:20:10 PST

MySQL is NOT a toy database - it is far superior to many I have used in my long career. The lack of constraints is NOT a weakness. It is eminently possible to create reliable applications without the need for database constraints - I should know because I have designed and built many applications that did not use database constraints (mainly because they were not available). Developers only rely on database constraints to circumvent their sloppy code. Anything that can be done within the database can also be done within application code.

As an application developer, I don't trust employees (including myself) to enter the data correctly and hence don't let it pass unchecked but validate it in the application layer. I belief that is a rather common mindset amongst application developers, which matches best practice recommendations:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-sp2.html

As a database administrator, why should I trust application developers (including myself) to validate the data correctly and let the data pass unchecked?

Jochem

--
I don't get it
immigrants don't work