I am attempting to construct a select statement in which I can find values
between two fields: start, and end. I have tried using "BETWEEN" and
comparing with <= and >=, but neither meet success. Can someone please set
me straight? This is meant to be in a PHP page, but I'm assuming the syntax
is similar if not the same. I understand there is also a min/max, but I'm
not sure it would work in this instance.

$sql = "SELECT * FROM federal-married WHERE start >= ".$_POST['salary']."
AND end <= ".$_POST['salary'];

Table: federal-married (finds federal tax rate based on marital status)
start = min field, ie. 804
end = max field, ie. 2801
$_POST['salary'] = salary of individual posted from a form