Birju Shah wrote:

Hello,

Thankyou for your quick response.
When I start getting this error, the mysql crashes, any application which I
try to start which uses mysql backend, says mysql.sock error could not
connect .
-----------------
DBI connect('database=search;host=localhost','web',...) failed: Can't
connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (61) at (eval
2) line 1
--------------
When i try to restart the mysql server nothing happens and the only option
that remains is to reboot the entire system. Everything works fine then for
a few days and again the same error.

I am attaching the mysql log file. thanks for your help
Birju Shah

See below for comments on logs...

030724 09:46:23 mysqld started
Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
skip-innodb
to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
section, for example,
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html

It wouldn't be a bad idea to do what MySQL is suggesting and either set the innodb data file path, or ad the skip-innodb option to your my.cnf

<snipped>

031030 11:41:08  mysqld started
Cannot initialize InnoDB as 'innodb_data_file_path' is not set.
If you do not want to use transactional InnoDB tables, add a line
skip-innodb
to the [mysqld] section of init parameters in your my.cnf
or my.ini. If you want to use InnoDB tables, add to the [mysqld]
section, for example,
innodb_data_file_path = ibdata1:10M:autoextend
But to get good performance you should adjust for your hardware
the InnoDB startup options listed in section 2 at
http://www.innodb.com/ibman.html
/usr/local/libexec/mysqld: ready for connections
mysqld got signal 11;
This could be because you hit a bug. It is also possible that this binary
or one of the libraries it was linked against is corrupt, improperly built,
or misconfigured. This error can also be caused by malfunctioning hardware.
We will try our best to scrape up some info that will hopefully help diagnose
the problem, but since we have already crashed, something is definitely wrong
and this may fail

key_buffer_size=8388600
record_buffer=131072
sort_buffer=2097144
max_used_connections=40
max_connections=100
threads_connected=2
It is possible that mysqld could use up to key_buffer_size + (record_buffer + sort_buffer)*max_connections = 225791 K
bytes of memory
Hope that's ok, if not, decrease some variables in the equation

Right. Here is where I'd be getting worried. Once a db server crashes like this, I do a re-install and restore my data from a backup. I've found that if you continue after a crash like this, the chances of another crash are increased, and also there is no easy way of knowing if your data is corrupt or missing.
If you use the rpm installation method, sorry ... you're on your own. I compile MySQL and install into /usr/local/mysql, and if things go bad ( which hasn't happened for over a year for me now, and was hardware related in my case anyway ), I:

mv /usr/local/mysql /usr/local/mysql_CORRUPT
cd /usr/src/mysql-4.0.17
make install
scripts/mysql_install_db

and then restart the server, import my backups that I create with mysqldump, and run the transaction logs that were created after the last backup.

I don't remember MySQL-4.0.15 doing this on me ever, but that's not to say that it's not a bug. The latest version is 4.0.17 anyway, so I suggest that the first thing you do is do a full dump of your database(s), upgrade to 4.0.17, and import your data.

Next, I'd do some hardware checks. Get a memory testing app ( memtest86 - I think - is available on freshmeat ). After testing with this, and maybe doing a big compile job ( some kde libs should do nicely ), if you are sure it isn't a hardware issue, make a bug report. Don't overlook hardware issues, especially on a built-it-myself box. My crashes went away completely when I dumped our old K6-2 500 for our new Athlon 2000XP box :)

--
Daniel Kasak
IT Developer