How did you determine the bottleneck was the left join? I would have thought it was the WHERE clause.
I'd be curious what the times are on these queries:

SELECT count(*) FROM Products
LEFT JOIN tblInvTransaction ON Products.ProductID =
tblInvTransaction.ProductID Where ((NSIPartNumber Like "%02-001%") AND
(Obsolete<>-1))

and

SELECT count(*) FROM Products
LEFT JOIN tblInvTransaction ON Products.ProductID =
tblInvTransaction.ProductID

As far as Access comparison, you must compare it to a multi-user Access database hosted on the network with at least 1 other client having the database open, but it can be idle. Comparing it to a local Access database is not a comparable setup.