You could create a User defined Function that contains this logic. At the
present time, an UDF needs to be coded in C.
Depending on how your `users` interface with the application, you could
write a C/C++ or java command line interface as well.

On 2/9/04, 10:53:00 AM, Mike Tuller <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote
regarding There has to be a way to do this:

> I have posted this question a few times, and have not seen the answer
that I
> need.

> I have a shell script, that gathers information from systems, and I want
> that info to be entered into a database. I want it to check first to see
if
> the data is already entered, and if not, add it. If it has already been
> entered, then update the record.

> I would think that some type of if/else statement would work, but I can't
> get the IF statement http://www.mysql.com/doc/en/IF_Statement.html to
work
> correctly in MySql.

> Here is what I have: