This is NOT a script that can run under mysql.
It  is a bash script that calls mysql.

MYSQL="/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql --user=$username --password=$password
--host=$server cetechnology"

RESULT=`echo "select count(*) from hardware_assets where
ethernet_address='$ethernet_address'" | $MYSQL
if [ "$RESULT" = "0" ] ; then
   echo "INSERT INTO hardware_assets (ethernet_address) VALUES
($ethernet_address);" |$MYSQL
else
   echo "UPDATE hardware_assets SET operating_system='10.3.3';" | $MYSQL
fi

Mike Tuller wrote:

I changed my script to this:

/usr/local/mysql/bin/mysql --user=$username --password=$password
--host=$server

RESULT=`echo "select count(*) from hardware_assets where
ethernet_address='$ethernet_address'" | cetechnology'
if [ "$RESULT" = "0" ] ; then
   echo "INSERT INTO hardware_assets (ethernet_address) VALUES
($ethernet_address);"
else
   echo "UPDATE hardware_assets SET operating_system='10.3.3';"
fi

Where cetechnology is the database. All the variables are set.

When I run this, it starts the mysql client application,  with the mysql>
prompt. Nothing is inserted or updated in the database though.

This is the same problem I had when I tried to do it this way, but I am not
knowledgeable in shell scripting yet to know what I am doing wrong.