Craig Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have a very large web app that uses timestamp for unique IDs.
> Everything was rolling fine until we started getting many users per
> second, causing some of the unique IDs to not be unique -- users were
> being assigned the same timestamp. Since the web app is so large we
> don't want to change the method of assigning IDs as it would create a
> major project.

I don't understand.  If you're getting many users per second, and
your timestamps have 1-second resolution, how could you possibly
solve the problem without changing the method of assigning IDs?
Are the "many users per second" periods just short bursts, and you're
really only getting several hundred users per day?  If so, I guess
you could keep waiting a second and trying the insert again, but that
could lead to indefinite delays if traffic gets high.  I think you've
got to bite the bullet and change the unique ID to something that's
actually unique -- even an AUTO_INCREMENT would work.

--
Keith C. Ivey <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Tobacco Documents Online