Hi Craig,

> I have a very large web app that uses timestamp for unique IDs.
> Everything was rolling fine until we started getting many users per
> second, causing some of the unique IDs to not be unique -- users were
> being assigned the same timestamp. Since the web app is so large we
> don't want to change the method of assigning IDs as it would create a
> major project.

since you got a problem with concurrent inserts, the best way getting
an ID is the fastest one. I'm quite sure using an autoincrement-column
is the fastest.
I had a discussion about UIDs with dbase. There is no autoincrement
with dbase and we mentioned several ways to get a UID without. None
of them is as good as using an autoincrement-column.
Please look at:
http://www.talkaboutprogramming.com/group/comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects/m
essages/137428.html
or visit comp.lang.clipper.visual-objects .

Even if you got a really huge app, i can't imagine changing the way
IDs are assigned is a lot of work to do. If ID-assigning is done by a
central function, you should need and a few changes. If not, you need
some more ctrl-c/ctrl-v.
As the result is the clearest and best solution of having an UID
it should be worth the work.

hth,

TomH

--
PROSOFT EDV-Lösungen GmbH & Co. KG     phone: +49 941 / 78 88 7 - 121
Ladehofstraße 28, D-93049 Regensburg  cellphone: +49 174 / 41 94 97 0