On Thu, 2004-02-12 at 11:47, Keith C. Ivey wrote:
> Craig Jackson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > I have a very large web app that uses timestamp for unique IDs.
> > Everything was rolling fine until we started getting many users per
> > second, causing some of the unique IDs to not be unique -- users were
> > being assigned the same timestamp. Since the web app is so large we
> > don't want to change the method of assigning IDs as it would create a
> > major project.
>
> I don't understand.  If you're getting many users per second, and
> your timestamps have 1-second resolution, how could you possibly
> solve the problem without changing the method of assigning IDs?
> Are the "many users per second" periods just short bursts, and you're
> really only getting several hundred users per day?  If so, I guess
> you could keep waiting a second and trying the insert again, but that
> could lead to indefinite delays if traffic gets high.  I think you've
> got to bite the bullet and change the unique ID to something that's
> actually unique -- even an AUTO_INCREMENT would work.

Thanks for the speedy reply and I have already recommended
auto_increment for the solution. We do need that quick fix until the
problem is fixed. How would I go about making Mysql wait one second
between inserts. We only get about 1000 hits per day, but they tend to
be concentrated in short time intervals.