----- Original Message -----
From: "Rochester, Dean" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "MySQL (E-mail) (E-mail)" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 12:35 PM
Subject: what does show status 'questions' refer to?

> in the show status there is a line that says
>  Questions  and it shows a number
>
>  The manual says this is the number of questions asked the mysql database.
>
>  what I want to know does one query equal one question or if I did the
> select * and it brought back 100 rows... does that equate to 100
questions?

I see Paul DuBois has already answered that; he's on the Documentation Team
at MySQL so he's a pretty authoritative source.

>  Trying to get number of hits to the database.
>
>  Maybe there is a better way to get that.

I've never seen a database that automatically tracks the number of hits to
the database. That doesn't mean that MySQL doesn't do it - maybe someone
here can answer that with 100% certainty - but I'd be a little surprised if
it did.

You could create your own table of counters but I don't see how you could
reasonably keep it accurate. You could certainly count *application*
accesses by incrementing those counters every time your program hit a given
table but I don't see how you could keep track of command line accesses.
After all, every time someone executes "select * from my_table" from the
command line, that is a database hit but I don't know of any simple way to
keep track of those hits. Once triggers are added to MySQL you could create
triggers to do this for you automatically with very little effort but that's
probably at least several months away.

Rhino