From: Paul DuBois [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 1:27 PM
To: Rhino; Rochester, Dean; MySQL (E-mail) (E-mail)
Subject: Re: what does show status 'questions' refer to?

At 13:15 -0500 3/10/04, Rhino wrote:
> [...]

I'm wondering what "hits" means in the original question.  If it refers
to statements executed, the "Questions" value may be sufficient.  If it
refers
to rows returned by statements, I don't believe there is a way to get that
value.  You can count the results from your own statements, of course, but
if you connect a bunch of times all at once, each connection can count
only its own statement results.  And you cannot count the results from
queries
issued by clients that connect using other accounts.

If you're interested in statements executed, broken down by statement type,
try this:

SHOW STATUS LIKE 'Com%';

However, the Com_select value reflects only SELECT statements actually
executed
by the server. If the query cache is on, some SELECT statements may be
served
directly out of the query cache without the server having to execute them.
You can get the number of such queries like this:

SHOW STATUS LIKE 'Qcache_hits';

--
Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team
Madison, Wisconsin, USA

MySQL Users Conference: April 14-16, 2004
http://www.mysql.com/uc2004/

EMAIL CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE
This Email message, and any attachments, may contain confidential
patient health information that is legally protected.  This information
is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.
The authorized recipient of this information is prohibited from disclosing
this information to any other party unless required to do so by law
or regulation and is required to destroy the information after its stated
need has been fulfilled.  If you are not the intended recipient, you are
hereby notified that any disclosure, copying, distribution, or action
taken in reliance on the contents of this message is strictly prohibited.
If you have received this information in error, please notify
the sender immediately by replying to this message and delete the
message from your system.