"JOHN MEYER" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 07/04/2004 15:39:10:

> Hi,
> I'm writing a database for an online candle store.  Here's the
> situation.  This store sells all sorts of items including candles.
> Now the gist is that some of the candles can be made in different
> types of waxes and some only have one wax.  My question is how do I
> resolve this when I write up the order and write up the line items.
> This almost seems like it is going to be some sort of a three way
> join or something.

You need to provide more information. For example, do prices differ with
different wax types? Are you expecting some sort of validation that candle
type A can be manufactured in wax type B? The easiest answer is just to
have an extra column "waxtype" and have the ordering application only allow
valid settings to be put in it, allowing NULL in the case where there is no
choice of waxes. You seem to have discarded this option - but you haven't
told us why, so we cannot tell what alternative to suggest.

      Alec