If you mean efficient in terms of performance, the answer depends on how big
the data is that would go in the files v. a database record, and how often
they'll be accessed.  If you mean more efficient in terms of disk space,
there's probably little difference if the files are large, but a big
difference if there are lots of little ones.  How much difference for the
latter depends on what file system you're using.

In any event, you'll probably have to experiment.  If you're talking about a
lot of relatively small files, putting the data into database fields will
probably win.

Nick