on 05/16/2004 12:52 AM, bruce at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> i'm running rh 8.0 with mysql on a test system. i'm relatively new to the
> admin functions of mysql. another person setup the mysql on the system.
>
> in reviewing the setup, it appears that mysql was setup with using root, and
> the root password. when i look at phpMyAdmin, it is also setup using the
> root. currently, it seems to provide whoever accesses the app with the
> ability to make whatever changes they want!! obviously not a good thing!
>
> can someone walk me through what i need to do to change mysql/phpMyAdmin so
> that only specific users can make specific changes to the underlying
> database/tables/etc...
>
> i've taken a look at the mysql docs, and am a little confused. i've also
> taken a look at the phpMyAdmin site/underlying files/docs to see if there is
> a way to change the setup, but i can't seem to find what/where a change
> should be made..

You should look at using the "Cookie" auth type in phpmyadmin.  Your mysql
setup is fine, you need a root user, you just don't want phpmyadmin logging
in as that user all the time.

<http://www.phpmyadmin.net/documentation/>

That link will tell you how to change your config file and create what they
call a control user with control username and password.