Ron Gilbert <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>It currently takes 15 or 20 minutes to run though a 10K to 20K GPS track
>logs.  This seems too long to me.  I took out the INSERTS to just to
>make sure it wasn't my PHP scripts, and they run in a few seconds
>without the MySQL calls.

Doing a lot of inserts in this manner introduces considerable delays for
each one as the information is sent across the connection, processed, and
the result returned.  Have you considered using "LOAD DATA INFILE..."?
You can transfer across the entire data set into a temporary file and then
use the LOAD DATA command of the temporary file.  To make sure you haven't
already loaded the data set you could do a single select on the first
element of the data set, loading if there are no rows returned.
                 Brad Eacker ([EMAIL PROTECTED])