On Fri, May 21, 2004 at 05:18:09PM -0600, Sasha Pachev wrote:

> It looks like FreeBSD was using only one CPU from your numbers. Try the
> test with only 1 thread and a lot of iterations to avoid the influence of
> overhead. I know very little about FreeBSD, but one thing I would check is
> if the kernel was configured to be SMP-cabaple/enabled.

Both CPUs were definitely in use; since these are Xeons with
HyperThreading, there's effectively 4 logical CPUs for the OS to use.
The OS sees them all; if I only put one to use then top (over time)
shows just 25% CPU in use which is correct. I generally run
super-smack with 4 or 5 clients to exploit the entire CPUs.

The super-smack results scaled roughly linearly up to 4 clients and
then held fairly static as the number of clients grew beyond that, so
I'm fairly sure all the CPUs are being used - just not as well as they
should be. I didn't record firm numbers, I'd have get FreeBSD back on
to get some firm results for that.

--
Chris