mos wrote:

At 04:42 PM 5/21/2004, you wrote:

Forenote: I have no wish to start an OS debate.

Hello,

Once I wiped this and tried Linux (both gentoo, with their patched-to-the-hilt 2.6.5 kernel, and Debian, with a stock 2.6.6 which had just been released by the time I installed) this figure jumped to 35,000 queries per second.

First of all congratulations on getting queries that fast.  :)

I have a few questions if you have the time:

1) Are you using MyISAM tables?
2) How large is the table's row size? And the result size returned?
3) Are you sorting the results?
4) What percentage are selects and updates?
5) On average, how many rows are being returned for the query?

The following question is open to anyone.

Now I've been mulling over whether to get a dual processor machine at 4x the price of a single processor P4 3+ghz machine, or just get four P4 3+ghz machines (with hyperthreading) and replicate the data and use load balancing. I'll need to replicate the data eventually so why not use 4 machines instead of 1 expensive dual processor machine? The cost is about the same and I'll have redundancy. 99% of the activity will be reads and the writes can be batched back to the master database several minutes later.

For database stuff, I can strongly recommend giving AMD's gear a solid look-in. Their architectural differences really do make for excellent database performance (Athlon XP or their 64 bit product line).

Best regards,

Chris

Mike