Hello Chris,

I'm not familiar with super-smack, but it's compared to Apaches 'ab' which
IMO is great for getting quick performance numbers but should in no way be
trusted compared to a real world production environment. We run probably
about 50+ dedicated mysql servers on various FreeBSD 4.X releases, and
what we see again and again is that performance is not limited by CPU or
memory; but by disk access time.

My advice would be to stick with what you are most comfortable with,
FreeBSD, and rather spend time on optimizing your database/code design.
That's where you'll get the most gains from by far. :)

I would also strongly advise you to upgrade to 15k SCSI drives as the
speed improvements are well worth it.

Regards,

Atle
-
Flying Crocodile Inc, Junior Unix Systems Administrator