On Tue, Jul 06, 2004 at 02:29:16PM -0400, Charles Sprickman wrote:
> On Tue, 6 Jul 2004, Jeremy Zawodny wrote:
>
> > Do you have a summary of the poor performance somewhere?  Or at least
> > a sense of where you think the bottleneck is?
>
> The best I can tell you is that mysql + moderate qmail load on the
> same box causes problems.  I don't know if this is a scheduler issue
> with FreeBSD, or just qmail telling me that I should be using
> Postfix.

Interesting.  Do you find the mysqld process using alot of CPU?

> Out of the blue mysql will start logging stuff like this in the slow query
> log:
>
> # administrator command: Ping;
> # [EMAIL PROTECTED]: squirrelmail[squirrelmail] @ localhost []
> # Query_time: 47  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 0  Rows_examined: 0
> # administrator command: Ping;
> # [EMAIL PROTECTED]: vpopmail[vpopmail] @ localhost []
> # Query_time: 48  Lock_time: 0  Rows_sent: 0  Rows_examined: 0
>
> Load is moderate, but not so bad that any other services on here are
> affected in any perceptible way.

Without looking at the box, I can hazard a few guesses.

I suspect you're seeing one of two things (or both).  I suspect that
qmail, like some mail servers, makes heavy use of syncrous disk
writes.  And it's probably competing with MySQL for precious disk I/O
resources.  (Are they sharing a disk?)

What's iostat look like?

If you're not using LinuxThreads, you'll find that MySQL on FreeBSD
behaves very poorly in high I/O situations.  FreeBSD's userspace,
self-scheduling threads just suck for database applications.  There's
no way around that.

Jeremy
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>  |  http://jeremy.zawodny.com/

[book] High Performance MySQL -- http://highperformancemysql.com/