(Apologies in advance for the crossposting, but I asked the same questions
on the MySQL Windows list and didn't get any replies)

I need a simple backup mechanism for MySQL (3.2x) that will backup all
databases on a server.  Something that can be run from a scheduled Windows
batch file.  From what I've read, it looks like mysqldump.exe is the
simplest method.

The plan is to backup the server to a directory (file?) on the same
machine and then use my standard backup software to backup that directory
to my backup media of choice.

Questions:

Can I easily restore individual databases and/or individual tables from a
backup made with mysqldump?

I imagine read locks are placed on the data during a dump.  What degree of
granularity is employed in the locking when doing an all databases backup?
That is, can I expect the entire server to be non-writable during the
entire backup, or only one database or one table at a time?

I see the mysqlhotcopy script mentioned almost any time mysqldump is
recommended.  What are the advantages (if any) to using mysqlhotcopy?

Thanks,
Jim