At 20:58 -0600 7/21/04, Jim McAtee wrote:
(Apologies in advance for the crossposting, but I asked the same questions
on the MySQL Windows list and didn't get any replies)

I need a simple backup mechanism for MySQL (3.2x) that will backup all
databases on a server.  Something that can be run from a scheduled Windows
batch file.  From what I've read, it looks like mysqldump.exe is the
simplest method.

The plan is to backup the server to a directory (file?) on the same
machine and then use my standard backup software to backup that directory
to my backup media of choice.

Questions:

Can I easily restore individual databases and/or individual tables from a
backup made with mysqldump?

I imagine read locks are placed on the data during a dump.  What degree of
granularity is employed in the locking when doing an all databases backup?
That is, can I expect the entire server to be non-writable during the
entire backup, or only one database or one table at a time?

I see the mysqlhotcopy script mentioned almost any time mysqldump is
recommended.  What are the advantages (if any) to using mysqlhotcopy?

On Windows, none. mysqlhotcopy runs on Unix and NetWare, but not Windows.

mysqlhotcopy tells the the server to lock the table files, then it makes
copies of those files while they are locked.  Windows file-locking semantics
prevent this from working, because you cannot copy a file while the server
has it locked.

--
Paul DuBois, MySQL Documentation Team
Madison, Wisconsin, USA