Greetings All,

I walked through the mailing list thread earlier today. The big issues that I believe that people raised were:

* Incorrect information on distribution as it applies to the GPL in our licensing documents
* Lack of clarity from MySQL on what is and not acceptable use of GPL-licensed MySQL
* Lack of concrete examples of suitable/unsuitable use of GPL-licensed MySQL

I opened up a new ticket at http://zak.greant.com:8888/licensing/tktview?tn=40 to cover the last two of issues. The ticket is rather terse, but I think that we all understand the issues.

The existing ticket http://zak.greant.com:8888/licensing/tktview?tn=32 seems to cover the first issue.

Also, I have started discussing these issues with the other MySQLers and hope to have something useful to report soon.

I understand that this is not optimal because it does not involve all of the people who have a stake in the licensing. Frankly licensing is a tough issue for us - it is the base of our revenue and it affects many people within and without the company. Additionally, it is a legal issue - something that makes many people, including us, very cautious.

Please continue to provide feedback on this area using any channel that you feel comfortable using. I admit that I prefer knowing about feedback on MySQL, so a courtesy Cc to me at [EMAIL PROTECTED] and/or to our community list ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) and/or an open ticket in the licensing issue tracking system (http://licensing.zak.greant.com) are all greatly appreciated.

Cheers!
--zak