Bill Chmura wrote:

I dont think this arguement will hold up... if this was the case, cable descramblers would fine as they are sending the signal into your home. But they seem to whack you. (and this was way before DMCA and such)

Illegal descramblers are the illegal point. the cable company took the initiative to scramble it in the first place. If you place a device on the cable line that is illegal, and turn it on, you are at fault. If I place a TV that isn't illegal and is performing it's normal function on the line, and the cable company is too stupid to block access to the channels, then they are not doing their job. There isn't a cable company in the US that would beam their signal into your home for free WITHOUT your permission and then demand payment. It may not be ETHICAL to get cable and not pay for it, and I'm not arguing that it is, but it's not ILLEGAL to get free cable because the cable company didn't bother to turn it off when you signed up for cable internet. They have record of you paying monthly for internet, and recent changes in cable law state that they cannot control house wiring. They used to be able to, but not anymore. They bring it in, and after they leave, you can do anything you want with it, as long as you only tamper with HOUSE wiring. Clearly if the company did not install the filters at the outdoor junction box, you are not liable for any transmissions beamed into your home. The company owns the equipment up to your house, not inside, unless you signed a box lease or some such. I find it amazing that comcast allows this practice, as in my case, when I signed up for cable internet, the company required me to purchase full cable internet because they were unable to filter the frequencies containing beyond basic cable and not filter the cable internet frequencies, so I had to pay full price for the whole shebang.