Hey Rob,

Thanks very much.  I had no idea there was a legal way to receive
Foxtel at all.  This is something I will have to investigate furhter
and possibly hook into Myth.  Then it really will be the dog-bollocks
;)

Cheers ate,
Dave

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 21:29:21 +1100, Rob Hillis <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> David Whyte wrote:
>
> >First, I don't think it is legal is it?
> >

> It's entirely legal if you pay for the service and use a CAM module with
> the approriate smartcard.  That's what CAM modules are for - they take
> the smartcards normally found in your decoder box and descramble the
> channels it is authorised for.
>
> >I think it can be done, but you need a beefy box to crack the foxtel
> >encoding, is the story I was told.  I don't know much about it, I just
> >wish Foxtel gave us a legal way to record the video in MythTV, without
> >having to do IR blasters and the like.  I always miss the discovery
> >channel shows.
> >

> My understanding is that with Foxtel analogue, a DVB-S card with the
> right CAM module and the smartcard, Myth will quite happily work.  Last
> I heard, Foxtel digital uses a different encoding method for which an
> appropriate CAM module is not yet available.
>
> As for the orginal poster, I don't know what hardware is required to
> receive Foxtel analogue.  I have heard of people having success with it.
>
> --

GMAIL is 'da bomb baby....YEAH

I have GMail invites, if you want one, email me direct.